The vastly spread network has scaled this globe with ease and has made it look like a toy. Now you can share files and data from any part of the world. Network connectivity acts as a spine for any organization without which a business cannot function smoothly. A network engineer is required everywhere be it railways, hospitals, educational institutes, corporations etc. So after looking at the opportunities, this role has to offer, the career in this field is rewarding.
The role of the network engineer is very challenging and requires highly skilled professionals. Network engineer deals with all tasks such as configuring, installing, monitoring, maintaining information systems, installing operating systems and software, troubleshooting servers, installing network hardware, planning and supporting network infrastructure, implementing security measures, managing user accounts, backing up information systems, and many more.
Network engineers are expected to install and configure computer networks which can be categorized as:
- LAN (Local Area Network):- used to connect systems within a small area usually home or office.
- MAN (Metropolitan Area Network):- used to connect systems in a comparatively larger network than LAN but not as large as WAN.
- WAN (Wide Area Network):- It has a large network which covers two cities.
- GAN (Global Area Network):- It connects networks mentioned above by using satellite communication technologies and covers an unlimited geographical area.
They are expected to keep the internet connection working, an internal network should be always intact, update internal or external data which is a continuous process. Therefore they are required to work round the clock and often work in shifts due to continuous support. As the network engineer gains experience his skill set grows rapidly because he has to handle diverse issues.
Network engineers are responsible for dealing with the security aspects of the organization. They must be always ready and should make sure that the network is fully secured and is not prone to hacking. Any loss or theft of data can shatter the whole organization. In order to keep a network secure a network engineer must ensure:
- Update Security Policy: All the security policies must be updated and the latest firewall settings must be used.
- Disaster Recovery Strategy: Every organization must have a disaster recovery strategy to keep the organization running in a time of crisis.
- Retest the Products: Before making any product live it should be retested for compatibility.
- Review System Logs: System logs must be checked at regular intervals to identify any malicious activities.
- Troubleshoot Problem: System engineer must have the skills to deal with any errors either at on-site/off-site within a given frame of time.